Download the tool | What is it about? | Structure of the tool
A guidance tool for developing climate-proof city regions
Download the tool
The tool (zip 16,5MB) consists of an MS Excel file (2003 and higher) interlinked with pdf files. Extended English version with new adaptation measures (October 2014).
German version (July 2013) "Anpassungskompass"
The Supplement "Explore Adaptation Options"(pdf 2.6MB) comprises the measures implemented by the FUTURE CITIES partnership.
What is it about?
Based on their experience, the Future cities partners developed a practical tool to check the vulnerability and adaptation options across sectors.
Download the flyer (in English, Dutch, German, French).
Download the brochure (in English, Dutch, German, French).
In a city, almost all departments are facing the impacts of climate change. They must adapt their policy and practice. Measures taken by one department might also meet the adaptation needs of another. On the other hand an adaptation action of one department may conflict with the adaptation aim of another urban structure. This is where the Adaptation Compass starts from:
- It is a guide to interlink different stakes and to check the vulnerability and adaptation options across sectors.
- The Future Cities Adaptation Compass aims to help planners and experts in cities and water boards structure work steps, provide good-practice examples and highlight issues and possible barriers.
- Applying a pre-structured assessment and documentation layout, this Compass enables the user to plan the stages to create climate proof cities.
- The Adaptation Compass can be applied to a region, a city or a project area providing best results for a city or a city quarter.
- The tool provides general information and automated answers. It also gives the user the opportunity to submit local information.
Structure of the tool
- Determine the current vulnerability of a city region or parts of a city with the VULNERABILITY CHECK.
- The module UNDERSTAND CLIMATE CHANGE EFFECTS assists in getting the relevant information and helps to cope with uncertainties.
For the ASSESSMENT OF RISKS AND OPPORTUNITIES a method is proposed that uses the results of the vulnerability check and the projected climate change trends.
- The module EXPLORE ADAPTATION explores the various adaptation options: especially the combination of different measures based on the practical experiences of the Future Cities partnership.
- Last but not least, the NEED FOR ACTION can be determined. The core problems and problem areas can be identified and suitable adaptation measures can be found.
- The user can save the results, REVIEW input data later and update, if required. Examples for MONITORING the results of measures are also provided.
Find more information in the brochure about the Adaptation Compass.